We know how important it is for your customers to receive their freight on time and in the most cost effective way possible. The Kaikoura earthquake changed the logistics for our country overnight and we have responded accordingly.
NZ Connect provides an end-to-end logistics solution for South Island freight, reducing the pressure to source and manage additional trucking fleets.
Integrated non-sensitive freight solution
- Moving rail head to rail head, we take care of the co-ordination across multiple partners so you can focus on your business
- We ensure your freight is railed and shipped to South Island where you can then collect from the KiwiRail CT Site at Middleton, Port of Lyttleton or Midland Inland Port within 6-8 days
- We regularly review schedules to ensure optimal connections between rail, port and shipping partners
Experienced, knowledgeable team
- KiwiRail's Domestic team are experienced in freight logistics and the paperwork requirements to ensure a seamless transfer between partners
- Containerised freight - 20ft. and 40ft. Standard and High Cubes's. DG and Reefer are excluded at this stage.
- Auckland - Christchurch launches November 2016.
- Further corridors to be advised in the near future
Contact us for a booking:
- Call KiwiRail Domestic: 0800 202 484 or
- eMail firstname.lastname@example.org or
- Book online at https://freight.kiwirail.co.nz/
1. Essential information you need to know:
- Containerised freight - 20 ft. and 40 ft. standard and high cubes. Dangerous Goods and Reefer are excluded
- 6-8 day transit time from Auckland to Christchurch
- Maximum container weight is 25t nett
- You can deliver your loaded container to KiwiRail Southdown CT Site or Ports of Auckland
- Containers can be uplifted from KiwiRail Middleton CT Site, Lyttleton Port or Midland Port rail terminal at Rolleston
- 24 hours before delivery to KiwiRail Southdown or Ports of Auckland, you need to send to KiwiRail:
- Loaded consignment note (refer to example attached in email)
- Verified Gross Mass (VGM) confirmation of completion (see below for information)
Equipment and management:
- ANL will supply one way containers and there is no container hire charge.
- You will be advised where to collect your empty container once your booking has been completed and issued a release number.
- You must advise KiwiRail Domestic of the empty container number uplifted from the container depot.
- You'll have 7 days to load the container from the time of pick up from the Auckland container depots to delivery loaded back to KiwiRail Southdown or Ports of Auckland.
- ANL containers - please consult the Port of Lyttleton website for details on approved dehire depot. KiwiRail containers may be dehired to the KiwiRail CT Site at Middleton only.
- You have 7 days to complete dehire to avoid detention charges.
- Dehired containers must be clean and damage free
Equipment detention charges:
|After Freetime Day 7||20' charge
(per box, per day, excl GST)
(per box, per day, excl GST)
|From 8th to 14th||$77||$119|
|From 15th to 21st||$107||$179|
|From 22nd onwards||$137||$239|
2. Consignment note changes
Our consignment note has been adapted for NZ Connect purposes and the GREEN fields will need to be completed as well. You can download a copy here.
3. Verified Gross Mass Information (VGM)
The VGM is a requirement of the International Convention for the Safety of Life at Sea (SOLAS) and came into effect on 1st July 2016.
As an NZ Connect customer, you will need to complete a VGM declaration before your container is sent to the port to ensure compliance.
If you are unfamiliar with this process, you can download the VGM information pack here.